Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Varnish advice needed...  (Read 2101 times)
Dazy
« on: September 12, 2013, 07:07:15 pm »

Hi everyone! I'm new here and I'm relatively new to crafting.  Smiley I have a bit of a problem to ask your advice about, so here goes...

I have recently started making papier mache bowls and I enjoy the actual making of them - but the decoration is more of a challenge. I'm using acrylic paints and decoupage, over two coats of Gesso. I like the effects I have achieved so far (although I'm still learning, so they're not very sophisticated) but I don't know how best to "finish" my work.

I tried a coating of diluted PVA, to seal the acrylic paint, and it seemed to work well. It looked nice and had a gentle shine BUT just touching it with a damp finger (two weeks after it dried) made it go odd and even lifted it a bit. So now I'm trying Mod Podge Hard Coat... But THAT is a bit too matt for my liking.

Any recommendations for a fairly glossy varnish that is somewhat water resistant? I'm not expecting the bowls to hold water, just withstand some splashes long enough to be wiped. I've seen descriptions of lots of wood varnishes, paper varnishes, sprays etc, but I'm confused and would love some experienced input please.  Smiley

ann from consett
Bloom

retired and still loving it. these are my 2 DGD's

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 09:47:36 pm »

have you thought about yacht varnish,

ann

ann from consett.

Lynnspain
Administrator
Floral Arrangement

San Miguel de Salinas, Costa Blanca, Spain

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 09:53:36 pm »

Lovely to see you posting and welcome to the forum, however, unfortunately I can't help you on this one. I do hope someone has an answer for you.

Lynn
With my luck, when my ship comes in, I'll be at the airport.

Jennie
Administrator
Floral Arrangement

Bromsgrove, Worcestershire

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 10:58:08 pm »

I cannot help either I am afraid, but like Lynn I would like to say a big hello and welcome you to our family.  I too hope someone can help.  I think we would all love to see some photos and if you need help re-sizing them and loading them, then do give one of the admin team a shout. Smiley

Jennie

nb Tentatrice: http://pippa13.blogspot.co.uk/

Kimbo
Floral Arrangement

from Sopley, Nr Christchurch

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 12:22:16 am »

Hi Dazy, you could try Decopatch glue varnish

http://www.thedecopatchplace.co.uk/glues-and-varnishes

Dazy
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 08:18:39 pm »

Thanks everyone! I think I will find uses for the Mod Podge Hard Coat (I'd better, it was 10!) and I'll certainly look into the other suggestions. Like I said, I definitely want something more glossy as well.

Thanks for the welcome too! My pots aren't exactly great at the moment but I'll put up pictures soonish, to give everyone an idea of what I'm up to. Busy taking my youngest to his new Uni tomorrow  Cry but I will get around to it, when I stop crying.

megapixie
Administrator
Floral Arrangement

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 10:48:59 am »

We have used DIY shop varnish with good effect.
Yacht varnish is very weather proof, so you probably don't need anything that durable.
Be warned, some varnishes, even 'clear' ones do take on a faint brown tinge over time, especially if in the light. I have white roses inside and out of my boat. The indoor ones are slightly cream now, the outside ones are a pale orangey brown. Same product, but over 7 or 8 years.

Gay rites four homophones

Our canal boating 'adventures' are on www.jannock.org.uk

Pamela
Floral Arrangement

Uxbridge, West London

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 04:38:19 pm »

Hello and welcome. Did you know you can get all sorts of Mod Podge? There is a 'super glossy' one as well as some with a shimmer finish, and matt finish also.

Pam xxx

Dance like no one is watching
Love like you,ve never been hurt.
Sing like no one is listening
Live like it,s heaven on earth.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: