Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Uses for Glue Gun  (Read 5052 times)
Foxylady
Flower

« on: June 28, 2015, 11:34:39 pm »

My favourite use of a glue gun is to make my own Dazzlers. Squeeze the glue gun trigger three or four times while moving the gun in small circles to create a blob which falls into a button shape. Quickly and while it's still a liquid (it sets in about 20 seconds), pour over whatever you want to coat the "button" with - eg glitter, micro beads - wait for the glue to set (go off), and use as a flower centre or to add to a bow. It takes a bit of practice to get the"button" nicely round, but worth persevering. And of course, you can control the size by using more or fewer squeezes of the trigger.

Another idea - make several "button" shapes and let them go off. Then use a brush to sweep them with mica powder or pan pastel. I'm having a senior moment as I think you might be able to colour them with ink as well, but I just can't remember how!

Another favourite - squeeze the trigger 10/15 times, let the glue spread out over a wide area, but before it goes off push an acrylic stamp into it. You need to push the stamp in firmly enough so the glue takes the shape of the stamp, but the stamp does not touch the mat or oven sheet you are working on. Remove the stamp after about 8-10 seconds - if you get the timing right, the dry glue should hold the shape of the stamp and peel off easily. I've used a large sunflower stamp and pressed it into a layer of glue not quite big enough. Once the glue dried, I cut the flower centre out (yes, you can cut through the dried glue) and used it as the centre of a stamped image, made using the same stamp - and of course they fitted perfectly. You can colour the dried glue as above.

A variation on the above - squeeze lots of glue onto your mat/sheet and while it's still wet add glitter, beads, embossing powder, and mix it all in - you are not necessarily aiming for an even colour - stripes and splashes of colour and texture often work best. Use a heat gun to melt the glue (yes, you can re-melt the glue), then press a stamp into it as above. Cut the impression to shape. Reheat all the left over bits until they all melt together, and stamp again.

I can't claim the credit for any of the above ideas - I've been to a couple of Stix2 demonstrations - I'd highly recommend these if any are running near you. 

Sorry I can't recommend a particular gun, I've used several at different places and have a couple of my own - I bought a DIY one, but find this is a little heavy to hold, although I like that it comes with a couple of different size nozzles, but in reality I only ever use the smallest. I've seen several TV crafters use a Bosch gun, and I quite fancy that, but it is more expensive than lots of others on the market - maybe you get what you pay for!

Hope some of the suggestions above inspire you.

Christine

Christine from Stockport

cleantea
Bud

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 12:30:31 am »

thank you for the glue gun tips Christine. I am sure many will find them useful.

JanM
Floral Arrangement

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 11:01:27 am »

My favourite use of a glue gun is to make my own Dazzlers. Squeeze the glue gun trigger three or four times while moving the gun in small circles to create a blob which falls into a button shape. Quickly and while it's still a liquid (it sets in about 20 seconds), pour over whatever you want to coat the "button" with - eg glitter, micro beads - wait for the glue to set (go off), and use as a flower centre or to add to a bow. It takes a bit of practice to get the"button" nicely round, but worth persevering. And of course, you can control the size by using more or fewer squeezes of the trigger.

Another idea - make several "button" shapes and let them go off. Then use a brush to sweep them with mica powder or pan pastel. I'm having a senior moment as I think you might be able to colour them with ink as well, but I just can't remember how!

Another favourite - squeeze the trigger 10/15 times, let the glue spread out over a wide area, but before it goes off push an acrylic stamp into it. You need to push the stamp in firmly enough so the glue takes the shape of the stamp, but the stamp does not touch the mat or oven sheet you are working on. Remove the stamp after about 8-10 seconds - if you get the timing right, the dry glue should hold the shape of the stamp and peel off easily. I've used a large sunflower stamp and pressed it into a layer of glue not quite big enough. Once the glue dried, I cut the flower centre out (yes, you can cut through the dried glue) and used it as the centre of a stamped image, made using the same stamp - and of course they fitted perfectly. You can colour the dried glue as above.

A variation on the above - squeeze lots of glue onto your mat/sheet and while it's still wet add glitter, beads, embossing powder, and mix it all in - you are not necessarily aiming for an even colour - stripes and splashes of colour and texture often work best. Use a heat gun to melt the glue (yes, you can re-melt the glue), then press a stamp into it as above. Cut the impression to shape. Reheat all the left over bits until they all melt together, and stamp again.

I can't claim the credit for any of the above ideas - I've been to a couple of Stix2 demonstrations - I'd highly recommend these if any are running near you. 

Sorry I can't recommend a particular gun, I've used several at different places and have a couple of my own - I bought a DIY one, but find this is a little heavy to hold, although I like that it comes with a couple of different size nozzles, but in reality I only ever use the smallest. I've seen several TV crafters use a Bosch gun, and I quite fancy that, but it is more expensive than lots of others on the market - maybe you get what you pay for!

Hope some of the suggestions above inspire you.

Christine

Wow !!!  Thank you Smiley

Old ! Me?  Never ................

Jennie
Administrator
Floral Arrangement

Bromsgrove, Worcestershire

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 11:02:40 am »

Thanks Christine - I may get mine out of it's box one day!

Jennie

nb Tentatrice: http://pippa13.blogspot.co.uk/

Gail
Floral Arrangement

From Sheffield

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 02:19:44 pm »

Brilliant Christine...thank you!

Gailx
AKA Blueberry Baby

megapixie
Administrator
Floral Arrangement

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 02:56:37 pm »

Thanks Chris: here are my uses...
My glue gun has been used so much for carnival costumes (alas no more) and for making fabric roses and brooches. It's perfect for fixing bar brooch backs as you can squidge glue through the holes for a firm fixing. Same goes for putting buttons onto anything crafty, squidge the glue through the holes.
It is also useful when the little plastic feet fall off of things like glass kitchen cutting mat thingys. Just a blob of glue, make sure it's level by putting a bit of cerial pack inner bag on top of the blob and then gently turn over and level until it's not wobbly.
We also had a spot where a door handle just bashed into a wall. A blob of hot glue acts as a buffer.

Gay rites four homophones

Our canal boating 'adventures' are on www.jannock.org.uk

Foxylady
Flower

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 04:41:29 pm »

Thanks for your comments ladies.

I've just remembered another use - you can die cut the dried glue. So either squeeze out enough glue so that when it dries it will be big enough to cut whatever shape you want to die cut - or reheat a load of bits of dried glue until melted. Add glitter, beads, microbeads, mica powder, embossing powder, etc and mix - again the aim is not to have a consistent colour and texture throughout, but to have layers and splashes. You may need to reheat it to melt the embossing powder. As long as the dried glue isn't too thick (if it is, reheat and spread it thinner), it will go through your die cutting machine - makes fabulous butterflies!

Christine 

Christine from Stockport

Chris
Bouquet

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 03:40:23 pm »

thank you for the ideas xxx

you only live once so enjoy it
Falmouth in Cornwall

Carole
Floral Arrangement

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 08:23:35 pm »

anyone that what to get a glue gun, Aldi have a glue gun on sale from Thursday 30th july. It is 3.99, and 24 glue sticks same price.

Carole

Lisa - ellasdesign
Seedling

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 08:33:15 pm »

Great tips for using your glue gun, Christine!  I use mine a lot for assembling other crafty projects but not so much for my card making as I tend to burn my fingers rather a lot!  Will definitely be getting it out to make some dazzlers and I like the sound of the swirled mica, embossing powders, etc, could end up looking like a gemstone?  Just need a couple more hours in a day and I'll be sorted!  Tongue

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: