Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Help with stamping - what ink to use  (Read 586 times)
lisafrance
Bud

« on: January 31, 2018, 03:27:12 pm »

Hi ladies, have a couple of stamps that require layering stamping, like the Altenew stamps where a flower is made up of 2, 3 or 4 stamps that build up the one flower in stages using 2 or 3 shades of the same colour ink.  You start with a solid stamp in the lightest colour and build up the flower from there (hope Iím making sense here).  The problem I am having is mainly with the solid stamp and the ink mostly tends to bleed or bead on the stamp so canít seem to get a crisp image (they are clear stamps btw).  I am using a pigment ink but maybe they are too old or just not using the correct ink.

Help please, sorry for the long post  Grin

Regards, Lisa xx

megapixie
Administrator
Floral Arrangement

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 06:02:53 pm »

No expert, but how does the stamp perform with other inks? If it's OK then I bet the problem is your ink. Does the ink work well on other stamps?

Gay rites four homophones

Our canal boating 'adventures' are on www.jannock.org.uk

Bea
Flower

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 06:57:29 pm »

Try priming the stamp first with a clear embossing ink pad then use whatever ink you have for the colours after this

val090
Administrator
Floral Arrangement

From Sunny Dorset

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 08:45:37 pm »

I am sure those who do stamping will help you on this. Stamping and I have never got on.

Val From Bridport Dorset

Sometimes on your way to a dream, you get lost........but then you find a better one!

Please visit my blog http://valscraftroom.blogspot.com/

Please visit My Facebook Card studio https://www.facebook.com/ValsCardStudio

carolerob
Floral Arrangement

Chester-le-Street, Co Durham

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 01:48:30 am »

Lisa it could be the card you are using. Different inks reacts differently on various card. They are also used for embossing. Have a little experiment.

I don't do a lot of stamping but I like die ink pads because they will stamp onto most card. I bought myself some small ones to try the colours, the colours I find I use a lot I then buy the larger ink pad.  I find I use black the most though to stamp an image with and then colour it in with pro markers or colours from my water based ink pads using a water brush.

My  friend does a lot of stamping and likes the Tim Holts "Ranger" brand.  She encouraged me to get a stamping platform which is grate if a part of the image hasn't stamped as you can re-ink the stamp and it will stamp in the same place exactly!  Die based is also the best if your going to use paints or pigment ink pens.

I have bought lots of ink pads over the years, most were rubbish at stamping, now I only by the best ( more expensive) as that's the only way to get the best results.

Look at " A guide to rubber stamping ink pads" on eBay, there is lots of information.

Carole x

lisafrance
Bud

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 08:28:13 am »

Thanks for the info, I will try different card, I thought this could be the problem as looking on internet pigment ink should work.  Iím going to get a few new ink pads on Saturday, a couple of little ones and see how I go.  Unfortunately, one of the down sides to living in France is the lack of craft shops, so online mainly for me.

Having my hair done, yippee, certainly needs it.  Going to an English friend who lives and works on the lílle De Re then on the way back visiting our only large craft shop in La Rochelle, so lovely day out for me Saturday.  My husband is coming too, donít know what he is going to do with himself  Wink Grin

Regards, Lisa xx

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: